Friday, May 1, 2009

WHAT IS ART?

Everyone defines art differently. There are socially accepted definitions of art, culturally accepted ones, and academically accepted ones.

I have learned that tattooing is a form of art. Upon my initial research, I would have been hesitant to consider this possibility. However, there is a fascinating section in the book Customizing the Body: The Art and Culture of Tattooing by Clinton R. Sanders titled, "Conclusion: Tattooing and the Social Definition of Art". Sanders says, "The differentiation between art and non-art is socially constructed and, therefore, subject to significant change over time." (p. 149) The idea that most things are "socially constructed" is something I have picked up from my anthropology course. Before taking this course, I didn't realize how much of what we surround ourselves with is socially constructed. The ethnography Strange Harvest by Lesley Sharp even taught me that death is socially constructed. I had NO idea that people defined death differently. Prior to my reading the ethnography, I thought death was something extremely finite, and medically defined. I was wrong! After reading the ethnography, our class discussed when one is actually dead. Is it when your brain stops working? When your organs shut down? When you lose consciousness? It depends on your own views. Art is like this too. The definition of art is a personal choice, a social construction.

There is a movement to have tattooing accepted as an art form. Some tattoo artists are resisting this movement, but "an examination of the tattoo world can help to identify those factors that impede the incorporation of a cultural production activity into the accepted repertoire of artistry or, on the other hand, increase the likelihood that the practice and product will be socially sanctioned as "real" art." (page 150) There are several reasons that Sanders gives for the desire for a legitimized art form. First of all, tattooing would gain status, and would consequently gain more business and money. Also importantly, "the pressures exerted by agents of social control are reduced or deflected (DiMaggio, 1987, Wolff, 1983)." This concern is especially prevalent to tattooing because there is an incredible social and cultural stigma against tattooing in the United States. If tattooing were to be sanctioned as an art form, maybe some of this resistance would dissolve.

The book that I am basing this post on was published in 1989. Twenty years has past since then and this movement is definitely making some process, as we realize that the people who perform the tattooing are called "tattoo artists".  Since the book is relatively old, the information is not as relevant. I believe our culture has made enormous strides toward including many craft forms as true works of art. Today, tattooing is accepted as an art form. I am in agreement with this. It is something so carefully and meticulously done, and is displayed on a body forever. Tattoos vary by artist and material, and are significant to each person. My research has really been changing my mind on tattooing, and considering it as an art form is a fascinating way to look at the practice.

1 comment:

  1. The art form of tattooing is one that people do not often investigate. For me, when I got my first tattoo I did not even realize that there are some people who do not approve and do not like to associate themselves with a tattooed person. I understand why people must not like tattoos but, what makes it okay for them to judge? I think that the art of tattooing is definitely socially structured, or maybe even the most socially structured form of art out there. Jane’s blog on tattooing really opened my eyes to how our culture has shaped itself around certain forms of body modification.

    Just like Strange Harvest states, it is all how we view death. It is all how we view art. I think Jane’s posts make very clear connections towards our course. I also had no idea that people viewed tattooing differently that how I did. I have two tattoos myself- however they are very discreet. One is on my foot and one is on my back under my bra-strap. But Jane does not address in these blogs, which I would have loved to learn about- is the discrimination from employers to employees on account of the body art they have. When I decided to get these tattoos- the first thing I thought about was getting a job in the future. Of course I thought what my parents would think- but thankfully they are both very supportive of what I do. However, what if I had wanted a really large eagle tattoo on my arm? I wonder if certain places would allow me to work there or if I would be stuck working at a Burger King (not to stereotype people working at Burger King). There have been many cases where people in search for a job are not allowed to work because of what tattoos they have. I think that is ridiculous. I mean, I understand where the employer is coming from, but I think that a tattoo becomes the identity of a person.

    This all ties into how anthropologists view culture. It is our identity,the social construction of our culture and the views of other people that cause us to be how we are.

    ReplyDelete